September 27, 2007

DAY 31 - HO CHI MINH CITY, VIETNAM

Xin Chao!

Woke up this morning in Vietnam. Went for breakfast and looked out the port hole in the staff mess, it was like watching it on TV. The street just past the harbor is lined with brightly colored, terribly run down houses and shops. Metal roofs are patched with blue tarp and hang awkwardly over each structure. Motorbike riders swerve in and out of each other’s way.

Worked from 8-10am while the ship was cleared by immigration and then ran away. There’s a shuttle just outside the ship that takes passengers into the city, drops them off at the Rex Hotel right by one of the biggest markets. Crew can’t fraternize (ha) so therefore we can’t share a shuttle with them. So I walk outside the port compound and immediately into a throng of 20 smiling faces in bright purple shirts – motorbike drivers (taxis are available sometimes, but motorbikes are almost the only way to get around here). For $2 Maang takes me into the city and promises to look for me every day outside the port. Interesting little fact – I’ve heard that most of the motorbike drivers fought in the war alongside the American troops. I hopped on his bike and he goes "hold on" and then zooms straight into traffic. No city traffic I've ever been in compares to this - pedestrians have no right of any way and the streets are full of motorbike riders - taxi bikes, business men, teenage girls and young families, holding their baby between them on the seat. Everyone goes in every direction, cuts each other off, and sneaks around the few enormous trucks that show up right behind you every now and then, horn blazing. Holding on to Maang's shoulders with the thick wind in my face and the city all around me.. it felt amazing.

I got dropped off in front of a beautiful government building surrounded on all sides by designer knockoffs, teapot shops, coconut milk sellers and women pushing post cards. I walked along the street and stopped in, the shop sellers are sweet but aggressive and the bargaining is kind of fun. Picked up an adorable tea set with a tray for $10. Made my way over to one of the biggest market in the city. I only had about half hour before I had to find Maang and go back to the ship for my afternoon shift, so I looked around for a bit. Everything – from fruits and fresh flowers to Manolo Blahnik copies to Che Guevara tshirts. I’m going to go back tomorrow to do some more serious shopping and find a tailor to get some clothing made.

I know I need to update about Hong Kong – loved it, it’s been the first city I could see myself living in for a little while. It was this fascinating mix of San Francisco and Sydney and every Chinatown I’ve ever seen before. I’m sneaking on the internet now but my plan is to do a big long update in Thailand (the city we’re going to is less than exciting so I can forgive myself for spending a few hours in an internet cafĂ©). I’ll post pictures and more about Hong Kong, and definitely get around to writing about what life is like when we ARE sailing.

Until then, I’m going to go run around Ho Chi Minh City for awhile. Later today I’m going to head down to the backpackers district and see if I can’t pick up a few expat friends to show me around this weekend.

Ta m bie’t,
MR

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEAR MELISSA:
SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET HOME IN DECEMBER.
LOVE ARA

Anonymous said...

DEAR MELISSA:
SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET HOME.
LOVE SARA:
PLEASE WRITE BACK TO ME AT BLACKCOW16@AOL.COM

Anonymous said...

DEAR MELISSA:
SEE YOU ON CHRISTMAS EVE.
LOVE SARA

Anonymous said...

DEAR MELISSA:
HAPPY HALLOWEEN.
LOVE SARA